Warning: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/inhavana/public_html/wp-content/themes/inhavana/single.php on line 60
The Palace of the Captains General receives hundreds of visits daily. In this majestic colonial building is currently the Museum of the City. It is considered the most important museum of the Historic Center of Havana and the best architectural work of the Cuban Baroque.
More than 40 exhibition halls bring us a closer view of characters, customs and events of national history. It has been preserved here the memory of the independence struggles from its beginnings to the revolutionary victory in January 1959. In the course, we will be transferred to seigneurial times through the interior spaces and their collections of the national heritage. We will approach the luxury of the wealthy Spanish and Creole social classes.
Among the rooms dedicated to recreate the colonial decoration of the palace are the “Wicker Hall” and the “Dining Room”. These faithfully reflect the atmosphere that prevailed during the last two decades of the nineteenth century. High-value pieces made by French jewelers and glassmakers stand out. We can almost imagine the great banquets when observing the luxurious tableware and pieces destined to the service of table.
In the rooms of “Uniforms, Banners and Flags and Spanish Armaments” are exposed pieces of clothing used by Spanish soldiers. Also some decorations, canes, flags and banners of different groups of the Spanish colonial army. The good state of conservation of weapons and equipment is impressive. These white arms and the immense pieces of artillery were occupied to the colonial forces.
The “Thought Room” and the “Room of Flags” have been dedicated to the memory of the Cuban struggle for independence. Some of the most outstanding Cuban thinkers are painted in portraits placed on the walls. The flags displayed are considered national treasures. They also show personal objects of the leaders of the independence wars.
Palace of Captains General occupies an entire block, overlooking the Arms Square, Obispo and Mercaderes streets, at a short distance from Castle of Real Force and Cathedral of Havana. It was the house of 65 captains general sent by Spain to govern colonial Cuba, served as the Presidential Palace from 1902 to 1920 and with the triumph of the Cuban Revolution was declared Museum of the City to this day.
For visit: Tacón street between O´Reilly & Obispo streets, Habana Vieja (“23.14005, -82.35003”). Guided visits available daily.
by: Leunam Rodríguez