The Fountain of India or the Noble Havana, as it is also called, is a beautiful statue that represents the native Havana, according to legend, wife of the chieftain who reigned on the island at the arrival of the Spanish colonizers, and from which the capital of Cuba takes her name.
Placed at the end of Paseo del Prado in 1837, the fountain built with white Carrara marble was an event for the inhabitants of the old town of San Cristóbal de la Habana.
With a height of three meters, the statue has in her right hand the shield of the city, with a key that symbolizes its strategic position, and in her left hand holds a horn with indigenous fruits, among which stands out a pineapple.
Havana rests on a rock and is surrounded by four dolphins, whose mouths pour water on the base. She wears a crown of feathers on his head and on her left shoulder a pouch full of arrows.
On the other hand, thousands of Havana residents and visitors from all over the world pass by every day, who look at it with pride and respect, and there are some who dedicate one or another procession to her. It guard her the hotel Saratoga and the Park of Fraternity and at little distance the dome of the Capitol of Havana can be sighted.
Many have been the meanings that poets and historians have brought to the Fountain of India or the Noble Havana. But there is no doubt that this admirable sculpture, which always looks to the horizon, is a symbol of the Cubans and of this city to which she gave its name.
For visits: Paseo del Prado and Calzada de Monte. Old Havana. La Habana. Cuba (23.133269, -82.358355)