Esbelta and colossal, blessing the capital of all Cubans, is located on the other side of the bay the Statue of the Christ of Havana.
Created in 1958 in Italy, the work of Cuban artist Jilma Madera represents the Sacred Heart of Jesus and is the world’s largest sculpture made by a woman, in Carrara white marble.
With a height of 20 meters and resting on a base of three, the image is located at 51 meters above sea level, therefore, offers a privileged view of the city.
The statue was sculpted in Rome and blessed by Pope Pius XII, then moved to Cuba.
It is said that its origin was due to a promise made by the wife of the Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista, just after he left the Presidential Palace in 1957.
On December 25,1958, the sculpture was inaugurated in the town of Casablanca and a few days later Fidel Castro overthrew the Batista dictator and triumphed over the Cuban Revolution.
This monument differs from others, as the Cristo de La Habana has empty eyes to give the impression that they are looking in all directions. In addition, his fleshy lips and features of his face represent the mixture of cultures that identify Cubans.
It is curious to know that the image has been reached by lightning strikes three times – in 1961,1962 and 1986 – but at present there is a lightning rod to prevent the deterioration of such a size.
In this figure, Christ is shown with one hand on his chest and the other on high, as a symbol of humility, blessing the Havana residents and all those who visit the capital.
It is then a must for Cubans and foreigners, who, in addition to the expectation of feeling tiny before the grandiose image, will enjoy the crossing in the popularly known “small boat of Regla” and the hike along a high road about 10 minutes, as part of the charms of visiting one of the most imposing and majestic statues of Christ in the world: Havana.
For visits: Between the fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña and the village of Casablanca. Regla. Havana (23.14393, -82.344955). Free access daily.